Kids Lifestyle

A Birth Story: Matthew James

I love reading people’s birth stories, and I wish I had done Matthew’s soon after his birth, when everything was fresh in my mind. But better late than never, right?

I’m going to start a week before his actual birth, on my husbands birthday. His birthday was on Monday, but we celebrated on Sunday with our families at our place.

I was on my feet for most of the day, which is probably why, soon after everyone went home, I started having contractions. They were far apart, and not very intense, so I didn’t panic. It was late, and hubby already went to bed, and I decided to wait it out, figuring it was Braxton Hicks. I turned on a movie, browsed Facebook and Instagram, and all the while the contractions were getting stronger and closer together.

I called the hospital and the OB nurse told me to wait at home as long as I could unless my water broke. At this point it was almost 5 a.m. I decided to lay down for a bit, and when I came into the bedroom, hubby woke up and asked what was going on. I told him about the contractions, and he got excited because he wanted the baby to be born on his birthday. I told him I wanted to try to nap before going to the hospital, and we both went to sleep.

He got up around 7 a.m. for work, and woke me up to ask if we’re going to the hospital, but my contractions were completely gone! Imagine his disappointment!

Fast forward to Saturday, the 10th, which was my due date. No sign of labor, not even a single contraction. I even went to a friend’s baby shower that day, I was feeling great! Unfortunately, almost everyone around me was getting impatient, but knew that he would come when he was good and ready. Saturday ended, and Sunday came and went, and still no baby, and no signs of labor.

On my due date!

Finally, early Monday morning (about 4a.m.), as I got up to pee for the 20th time, I felt my water break! Without waking up my hubs, I started getting ready. I showered, brushed my teeth, even put on a touch of makeup. Then I woke him up and told him it was time to go. We grabbed our packed hospital bag, and got on the road.

Up until this point I barely felt any contractions, probably because I was on the move. But as soon as I relaxed in the car, they became quite intense!

I got checked in and hubby notified our families and a couple close friends that baby was finally ready to make an appearance! Within an hour, my mom and sister were there, trying to talk me down and soothe me as my contractions got worse and worse, while I was barely dilated and progressing very slowly. I breathed, I walked, I sat, laid, and cried, and then I said screw my birth plan, screw all-natural, I want the epidural! Around 11a.m. The nice man with drugs came, and afterwards I felt so much better! I was actually able to relax, and talk to my mom, sister, and hubby. Honestly, I so admire those women that give birth without any drugs, and part of me wishes I did that too, but if I had to do it over, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I did what was best for me and my situation.

Feeling nice and relaxed after the epidural. 

Around 3p.m. I was finally fully dilated, so we sent my mom and my sister to the waiting room so that I could begin pushing. I pushed for about half an hour, and then I was abruptly told to stop by my midwife. Apparently baby boy’s stats dropped and he wasn’t getting enough oxygen. It was so hectic, a bunch of nurses and few doctors ran in, they told me I had to change my position to help baby get more oxygen, so I had to get on my hand and knees. I don’t know if you’re familiar with epidurals, but basically, they kind of numb you from the waist down. So imagine me, with my useless jello legs, trying to get on all fours! That’s where all the extra nurses came into play, they had to help me turn over and stay up until baby’s stats improved. I felt like a barn animal, with all the help I was getting, and all the extra people watching. But all I really cared about was my baby’s well-being. Plus, it’s kind of a funny story to look back on now.

Any way, his stats improved, and I was able to start pushing again half hour later. The pushing went on for a while, because the kiddo’s head is on the larger side, and I’m on the smaller side. Hubby helped hold my jello legs while I pushed, and got to watch baby crown(the kid had a lot of hair when he was born, and it was all we saw for a while during my pushing). Our sweet nurse kept telling me’ “just one more push, just one more!”, I stopped believing her. I actually felt like it might go on forever.

Finally, at 7:21p.m., Matthew James came into the world! As soon as he was placed on my chest, the pain and exhaustion of the day vanished. He was so perfect, I could not believe it! The midwife took care of me (stitches and whatnot) while I just soaked in my perfect tiny boy. He latched almost right away, and we stayed that way for a while. Then he got weighed and measured, and we had our family come in.

Everyone was smitten with our sweet boy!

There were lots of photos and hugs and even a few cuddles. Despite the obvious pain, and the slight complications, it was the perfect day! My only regret is not taking more photos (even though we took quite a few).

We made up for the lack of photos by doing a newborn shoot at home. I’m so happy we have these keepsakes of our tiny perfection. Roza Melendez photography is the best! She was so great with our tiny babe, and all of the photos turned out amazing.

Do you wish you had done anything differently during your labor/birth?

Also read: Must haves for Baby’s first year. 

“Mom Buns and Coffee is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to” This means I get a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you.

2 thoughts on “A Birth Story: Matthew James”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *